Cosplay is the act of costume play, popularly seen at anime or comic conventions. So how did the word originate? What exploded this culture in America? Is it getting trendy? See for yourself in a documentary covering its history in America, with many stories, many personalities, and the course it may take.
Featuring words from:
- Lilith Astaroth (Musician)
- Dee Bradley Baker (Voice Actor)
- Malan Breton (Project Runway)
- Danny Choo (Culture Japan)
- Ejen Chuang (Cosplay in America)
- Holly Conrad (Heroes of Cosplay)
- Chloe Dykstra (Heroes of Cosplay)
- Ashley Eckstein (Voice Actor)
- Yaya Han (Heroes of Cosplay)
- Roland Kelts (Author)
- Christopher Smith (Voice Actor)
- Meagan Marie (Journalist)
- Vic Mignogna (Voice Actor)
- Susan Napier (Author / Professor)
- Tanya Tate (Actress)
Anime North is proud to present The Tale of Princess Kaguya courtesy of G Kids.
Legendary Studio Ghibli cofounder Isao Takahata (Grave of the Fireflies, Pom Poko) revisits Japan’s most famous folktale in this gorgeous, hand drawn masterwork, decades in the making. Found inside a shining stalk of bamboo by an old bamboo cutter and his wife, a tiny girl grows rapidly into an exquisite young lady. The mysterious young princess enthralls all who encounter her – but ultimately she must confront her fate, the punishment for her crime.
From the studio that brought you Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, and The Wind Rises comes a powerful, sweeping epic that redefines the limits of animated storytelling and marks a triumphant highpoint within an extraordinary career in filmmaking for director Isao Takahata.
This screening comes courtesy of G Kids, Patema Inverted and Welcome to the Space Show.
Time and place of showings at the convention will be made available when the schedule is posted.