What is the Nominoichi? It's a unique marketplace where, for a few hours on Friday night, 120 tables will be set up alongside the Anime North Fashion Swap, and Anime North attendees like you can go shopping for, or be selling your, used anime items. The Nominoichi is like an anime garage sale without the garage, a flea market without the fleas, Tsukiji fish market without any fish!
The Nominoichi will be open on Friday, May 23 from 7:00 PM to 10:30 PM, in Hall B at the Toronto Congress Center (TCC).
The Nominoichi is a marketplace primarily for the sale of used licensed anime merchandise, although some non-anime items are allowed, the majority of items will be anime. We are never exactly sure what people are going to sell, so we encourage sellers to post a list on the Anime North Forums. That's also the best place to find more information about the Nominoichi, and if you have any questions or concerns about the Nominoichi that is the best place to get answers.
Additionally, on Friday, May 23rd we will try to keep people updated with photos of what what you can find at Nominoichi tables on our twitter account @AnimeNorthNomi and we invite you to use our hashtag: #AnimeNorthNomi
If you plan to attend this event please remember:
- The temperature inside the Nominoichi can become uncomfortably high. We'll do our best with the AC, but it's often not enough. You should dress light, drink water, and be ready to sweat a bit.
- The Nominoichi is also very crowded early in the night. We prefer that you are shopping inside, not waiting in a line. This means we allow a lot of people in the Nominoichi at once. If you are not comfortable with tight crowds then we recommend that you start shopping later in the night. The later you arrive, the less people there will be.
- Everything sold at the Nominoichi is considered to be "used" and "as-is". Please be aware and shop smart. Look carefully before you buy. Always talk to the sellers and ask questions first. Only buy something if you are sure it is what you think it is. However, never touch or open merchandise without first asking the sellers permission. It's not your property until you pay for it!
- Finally, if you have any problems or issues with an item, seller, or anyone during the Nominoichi, please come see us at the staff tables right away.
If you plan to go shopping, that's about all you’ll need to know and I look forward to seeing you at the Nominoichi. Otherwise, if you are interested in participating as a seller, you should get comfortable because we have a lot more information to cover.
What can I sell?
Sellers have the option to offer a greater variety of items than are of common interest to the average Anime North attendee; items that may not be "anime", but still fall within the sphere of Anime North fan culture.
The Nominoichi remains primarily for the sale of licensed anime merchandise. This is defined as something that has been professionally mass produced and includes copyright information. Items under this category include DVDs, figures, manga, collectibles, etc. The Nominoichi also classifies real doujinshi as "anime merchandise". These items must account for at least 50%, or more, of your total items available for sale. Therefore, at least half of all of your merchandise must be official anime stuff, the remainder of other items (combined) can not exceed 50%.
We call this "the 50-50" rule.
What other items are allowed?
Seller may also offer any official merchandise, or products, only from the following seven categories:
- Fantasy: Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, etc.
- Games: Board, RPG, Miniature, Video, etc.
- Japanese Culture: Language study guides, Tea ceremony items, etc.
- Music: J-pop, J-rock, AKB48, etc.
- Other animated: Disney, Warner Brothers, etc.
- SCI-FI: Star Trek, Star Wars, Star Gate, Doctor Who, etc.
- Super Hero: Batman, Spiderman, Superman, etc.
Please note the items listed in each category are only examples, they are not intended to be a full list. Only items that fall under one, or more, of these categories will be permitted.
Can I sell costumes?
You may sell costumes, props, and accessories. These items can be licensed or fan-made. They can be original, modified, or re-sold unaltered. All costume-related items (including clothing, wigs, and shoes) are welcome at the Nominoichi.
What is not allowed?
Things that are not permitted to be sold at the Nominoichi include:
- counterfeit merchandise and bootlegs
- food and drinks
- props and weapons with a metal blade
In addition to anything that would violate Anime North’s rules, policies, or regulations.
Furthermore, although costume-type clothing and related costume accessories are welcome, fashion-type clothing is not. The Anime North Fashion Swap will be running alongside the Nominoichi and that marketplace is exclusively for Japanese fashion clothing and styles like Visual Kei, Lolita, Gyaru, Mori Girl, Dolly Kei, Decora, Fairy Kei, and Otome.
Doll North will be having another Doll Market. Thus, items that could be sold there are not allowed on Nominoichi tables. These items include anything intended for doll use (ABJDs, Pullips, and Blythes.)
Finally, all homemade arts and crafts, all fan comics and drawings, and anything else that could be on a table in the Comic Market or Crafter’s Corner will be not allowed at the Nominoichi.
Who can reserve a table?
Attendees who have regular membership badges (Friday, Weekend, or Pre-registered) can reserve a table, or join a group of sellers. If you have a Dealers, Comic Market, Crafter’s Corner, or Exhibitor badge you are welcome to come in as a buyer after 7:00pm. However, you are not allowed to participate as a seller and can not enter the room before we open.
What about selling in Groups?
If you want to reserve a whole table by yourself, you can. If you want to be in a group you can add one or two people to your sellers list, for a maximum of three people per whole table. If you don't have enough stuff for an entire table, and you don't wish to be in group, you can reserve a half table. Half tables are available for individual sellers only.
How much are tables?
One whole table = One, two, or three sellers = $35
One half table = One seller only = $20
This money is collected on Friday at the Nominoichi.
How do I reserve a table?
Table reservation will start on Sunday, April 20, 2014, at 8: 00pm (20:00 EDT). Any request sent in before this date and time will be ignored and deleted.
The subject line for this email must exactly be: TABLE RESERVATION
The email must also include the following information:
- Do you want to reserve a whole table or a half table? All reservations will be made for full tables unless you specifically request a half table.
- You must include your full name (first and last)
- IF you are reserving a whole table, and your group includes another seller or two, then you must include both the full names and email addresses of each other seller.
- IF you are reserving a whole table, and you wish to be located next to another seller's table, please include that other sellers full name and email address. Both table's sellers must do this.
We try to reply to everyone who sends an email, but it may take some time. Don't worry if it takes a few days. However, if you have not received any response after seven days then something probably went wrong. You can try sending another email, or post a message on the forums.
Tables will be assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. Sellers will receive a confirmation letter with further details. Once all the tables are assigned a small stand-by list is created, when the stand-by list is full the event is "sold-out". In addition to the table confirmation letter we may send you email asking you to participate in a survey about the Nominoichi.
Q: Are the tables round?
A: No. They are six feet long by two and a half feet wide. (6' x 2.5')
Q: If I am part of a group of three sellers can we all get chairs?
A: No. Each table has 2 chairs.
Q: If I am part of a group of sellers do we each pay $35?
A: No. The fee is $35 per table (or $20 per half table) not per seller. It will be collected at the Nominoichi.
Q: Can I request more then one table?
Q: Can I request a whole table and a half table?
Q: Can I request two separate half tables?
Q: If I reserve a whole table do I need to know all the members of my group now?
A: No. Once you have reserved a whole table, you may later add or remove, other members of your group.
Q: Does signing up for the Nominoichi include an Anime North membership?
A: No. The Nominoichi is a part of the Anime North convention. To buy or sell, you must purchase a membership separately.
Q: Can my family or friends help me set up my table without buying a membership?
A: No. The Nominoichi is held inside the Anime North convention. For anyone to get into the room you must first show your badge.
Q: Can I reserve a table, or join a group of sellers, if I am under 14 years old?
A: No. You must be at least 14 years of age by May 23rd, 2014, and anyone under the age of 18 must have the consent of a parent or guardian.
Q: Can I sell whatever I want?
A: No. If you are not sure if an item would be allowed please e-mail us and we can discuss it.
Q: Did you just answer "No" to every question?
Q: Yes you did.
And thanks for your interest and support of the Nominoichi.