The Fashion Show will be taking place during the afternoon of Saturday, May 28, 2016 in the Toronto Congress Center North Building.
The Anime North Fashion Show showcases styles, designers, fashion communities and individuals of the Anime North community and gives them a stage to showcase their passion. Over the years, it has become a prominent event at the convention. It’s a great event for attendees to learn more about different Japanese fashions, photograph awesome unique outfits, and support your fellow con-goers as they model outfits for you.
The fashion show features different styles and aesthetics that are popular in Japan, as well as Anime North. The past Anime North Fashion Show has featured Visual Kei, Kimono, Steampunk, Lolita, Gyaru just to name a few. The Fashion Show is always looking for new styles to add and individuals who have a passion for J-fashion!
The fashion show consists of two sections:
Style Section: Divided into their representative street style, this section aims to educate attendees of the different fashion tribes at Anime North. The models are wearing their personal collections.
Designer Section: This section is for brands and designers who'd like a stage to showcase their work. Some of the designers are within the crafter's corner or dealer room and attendees have a chance to purchase their work directly from the con floor!
More information below is provided for Media, Designers, Section Leaders and Models.
In the e-mail please provide us with a sample of your work or links and tell us what you'd like to cover from the Fashion Show.
For 2016 the current style sections are:
- Mori Girl
- Visual Kei
In order to create a new section that is not mentioned above, we need a volunteer who will act as section leader. They will be responsible for finding models, providing us with information and informing their models. The section leader needs to be involved with that style and have a certain level of expertise. Each section must have a minimum of three models in order to participate.
A few examples of styles we'd like to feature are seifuku, kigurumi, decora, cult party kei, fairy kei, otome, hanfu and pretty much anything!
Being a section leader is a big responsibility and will require more time and effort dedicated to the fashion show. Here are a few things you should know:
- You will need to find models for your section. The Fashion Show department can help by using our social media pages, but this is your responsibility.
- You will need to forward any information that the Fashion Show department provides to your models.
- Section leaders should are asked to be in a green room at an earlier time than their models.
- Anime North Fashion Show cannot provide compensation for expenses such as makeup or styling.
- Suggestion: You may want to recruit makeup artist or stylist for your section. Makeup artists and stylists receive no compensation from Anime North Fashion Show for participating. You will need to provide us with their name.
- Models should be made aware of that they are responsible for their outfit, makeup, coordination and hair styling if you do not have someone to help with this.
- New section will be subject to a trial period. This means, your first year as a section leader will be reviewed by the department. If we feel that you performed your duties adequately, you will be asked to return the following year.
In order to participate in any of the style section mentioned above, you must:
- Have access to the clothing. Anime North Fashion Show does not give models outfits.
- Have a valid Anime North Weekend badge or Day Pass.
Designer spots are filled on a first come first served basis. Designers must be part of the Anime North community, either as an attendee, guest or a seller. They must have an Anime North pass in order to participate.
Here are a few things you should know:
- You will need to find your own models. Anime North Fashion Show department can provide support by posting on our social media pages.
- You will need to provide a brief description, names of your models and music accompaniment to the fashion show department.
- You must have a minimum of three and a maximum of ten outfits to showcase.
- Anime North Fashion Show cannot pay designers for their participation or provide any sort of compensation (travel, hotel, etc).
- The Anime North Fashion Show will advertise your participation on our social media pages.
- Anime North Fashion Show does not provide hair stylists or makeup artists; that’s up to each designer to arrange. However, we do sometimes have people volunteer, so please keep that in mind. Makeup artists and stylists receive no compensation from Anime North for participating.
- If a designer wants to come up from the US, you must deal with immigration/customs on your own. We unfortunately, cannot help with this.