Pro Plaza/Professional Artists
Important for 2017
- Attention all Pro Plaza Artists: As of this year (Anime North 2017) the Pro Plaza will no longer be collecting full contracts/policies. You, as an applying artist, are responsible for reading the following information in full and making sure you understand it before you apply. Anime North, Exhibitors and Pro Plaza staff and volunteers are in no way responsible for your failure to read the following policies.
- Registration for Pro Plaza 2017 is NOW CLOSED
The Pro Plaza is open to professional artists only. This area is for artists who wish to sell their original creations and/or do self-promotion. All product types are permitted, but the Pro Plaza has a strict no fan work policy. Absolutely no fan work is permitted at any given time.
Please read the following carefully, as several major changes have been made to the Pro Plaza policy effective immediately.
What classifies as a registered artist in the Pro Plaza?
A registered artist is an individual whose name appears on the Pro Plaza registration form who has fulfilled the following conditions:
- The individual has signed the Policy and Contract Agreement;
- The individual has been confirmed by the Pro Plaza Coordinator.
Please note that tables cannot be filled by individuals whose names are not registered to the Pro Plaza.
Pro Plaza Artists must be of professional level, meaning that:
- The Artist must represent his/her body of work as a professional in a given artistic field;
- The Artist’s merchandise must be original content and must not include any fan works;
- The Artist must be at least 18 years of age by May 26, 2017, as per Ontario regulations.
The Pro Plaza will be located within the Exhibitors section inside the Toronto Congress Centre. Pro Plaza tables will be located within its own island.
Each artist may apply for one table maximum, no exceptions and may apply either in the Pro Plaza OR the Comic Market OR the Crafters Corner, and may not hold a waitlist spot for more than one of these sections.
Pro Plaza tables will support a maximum of one (1) artist and up to two (2) helpers per table. Pro Plaza tables do not support Secondary Artists.
An artist table measures approximately 2’ x 8’ and can have a maximum of three (3) chairs and three (3) Exhibitor badges. Please note: badges must be worn and visible at all times.
- Table with a convention badge costs: $210 CAD
- Helper badge costs: $60 CAD
- Additional Helper badge (maximum of one): $70 CAD
You may purchase helper or helpers' badge(s) if he/she has not pre-registered. Please contact the Coordinator for procedures and information.
Convention badges and artist ribbons must be visible at all times when inside the convention as per agreement to the Anime North Convention Policies. Even if the individual is cosplaying, he/she is required to follow this rule without question.
Tables may ONLY be set up by the primary artist and his/her helper(s). You may not bring in non-artists (i.e. anyone without an artist badge and ribbon) to help you set up. If additional help is needed, volunteers designated by the Pro Plaza Staff will be available during setup.
As of this year, individuals in the Pro Plaza may register two (2) helpers maximum to their table for an additional badge/registration fee. Helpers may not represent or sell their own body of work or merchandise and are there for the purpose of assisting with the sales of the one (1) artist registered and permitted to sell at the table.
Please note that a helper must also have the items listed in the Registration Requirements section. Helpers do not need to submit any artwork samples.
You will receive a table cloth with the purchase of your table; you are not required to use this one however, you may bring your own.
If the table cloth is not returned in an acceptable condition (i.e. without any physical damages like tears or cuts from box cutters or scissors, or cosmetic damages like traces of permanent marker), you will be required to pay an additional $50 CAD in damages. This policy carries over to the plastic coverings present on the tables as well.
If the outstanding fee is not addresed in a timely manner, your application for future artist tables will be automatically denied.
Each artist who wishes to apply to the Pro Plaza must:
- Not be registered to a Comic Market table or be on the Comic Market waiting list.
- Not be registered as a Primary Artist in the Crafters Corner or be on the Crafters Corner waiting list.
- Not be registered to sell their work in the Dealers Room, and/or have any work or merchandise represented for sale in the Dealers Room on consignment.
- Submit two (2) finished and signed art samples (for crafts, please submit two signed photographs of finished works) along with their reservation request by Tuesday, March 14, 2017, 9:00 PM EST. No sketches or works in progress will be accepted. No typed signatures or watermarks will be accepted. Signatures must be easy to find. Signatures must be handwritten; signatures produced by stylus, etc. on tablets or similar are acceptable. Please sign all works with your legal name. If staff cannot find your signature, your application will be denied.
- Represent his/her own body of work and not act as a proxy or representative for another artist. Presenting or using someone else's work is an act of fraud and will disqualify the prospective participant from the 2017 Pro Plaza.
- Have read and understood both the Anime North Convention Policies and the Pro Plaza Policy and Contract Agreement for 2017. Failure to do so will result in the immediate forfeiture of your table application and future applications to the artist areas.
- Supply a preliminary merchandise list.
- Confirm that all applicants are at least 18 years of age by May 26, 2017.
- Possess signed release forms from any and all contributing artists (please note: if your works is not representative of 60% of the finished product you may not sell it in the Pro Plaza. All items for sale are ultimately at the discretion of the Pro Plaza Coordinator)
- Be in possession of a Government-Issued Photo ID (e.g. health card, driver’s license, passport, etc.) on May 26, 2017 for the sign-in process.
Please be aware that using false identification or lending your ID to someone else during sign-in is a criminal offense. This will result in the immediate forfeiture of your table and the denial of future applications to the artist areas.
Helpers must comply with the above, and aid their Artist to the best of their abilities to comply. Listed Helpers are not to provide art samples.
Please Be Aware: Multiple applications will result in the automatic denial of an applicant, along with any individuals with records of cheating and/or policy breaches in previous years.
If you identify yourself as a Trans* (transgender, intersex, genderqueer, or otherwise) artist with legal name concerns, please make us aware at the same time that you send in your application so that the necessary action can be taken. This is NOT for artists who wish to put their nicknames on their badges; this applies ONLY to name changes for gender expression purposes.
If you are such an artist, please know that this policy has been included to make your attendance of Anime North as comfortable for you as possible, and none of your information will be sahred, published, or misused.
The Pro Plaza does not accommodate Artist Groups or Art Groups. Applications are open only to individual artists.
Registration and Payment
Once you have received confirmation for a table, your table registration form along with details regarding registration and payment will be sent to the artists once he/she/they receive(s) a table reservation confirmation from the Pro Plaza Staff.
Registration for the 2017 Pro Plaza will open at 9:00AM EST on Monday, March 13, 2017 and will close at 9:00PM EST on Tuesday, March 14, 2017. Please contact the Pro Plaza Coordinator if you have not received a response by 10:00PM EST on Friday, March 17, 2017 regarding your application.
Please note that no early applications will be considered.
Tables and artist admissions cannot be credited or rolled over for the next year.
Sign-in: Friday, May 26, 2017: 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM EST
Please advise the Pro Plaza Coordinator if you are unable to arrive during this time.
No-shows by 11:00 AM EST on Saturday will have their tables reassigned. Failure to follow these rules will result in the loss of your table without refund.
Open access to convention attendees (times are subject to change):
- Friday, May 26, 2017: 5:00 PM — 10:00 PM EDT;
- Saturday, May 27, 2017: 10:00 AM — 8:00 PM EDT;
- Sunday, May 28, 2017: 10:00 AM — 5:00 PM EDT.
Sign-in information will be supplied to the artist participants in their application package. Please review it carefully once you receive it.
On Sunday you will have a MAXIMUM of one hour after closing to tear down your displays and vacate the premises. If you are present after this time frame, you risk the ability to apply to any position in the Exhibitors area in the future.
Sale and Display of Merchandise
- Artists may sell and create their art and merchandise in the Pro Plaza, so long as the content sold at their table does not include fan works and/or copyrighted images that are already licensed by other companies.
- Only the artwork of the artist registered to the table may be sold at the table. You may not represent any artist that is NOT present at your table or registered with the Pro Plaza at any time.
Merchandise Prohibited from Sale
Fan works are prohibited in the Pro Plaza. You will be asked to remove any and all items which fall into this category;
Text heavy images on buttons, bookmarks, or stickers are allowed only if they are intended for the promotion of the artist’s own original works;
Solicitation buttons such as “Will Yuri for Yaoi” and “Free Hugs” are not permitted for sale in the Pro Plaza;
Replicas of existing artwork and merchandise such as official artwork from other licensed creations or artwork depicting trademarks or copyrighted logos are not allowed and considered copyright infringement. These actions are prosecutable by law;
The resale of food, used goods, or retail items (such as pocky, art books, or doujinshi made by non-registered artists) is not allowed. If you wish to sell the aforementioned, you must purchase a Dealer’s Table. Please note that you may be fined by the TCC if you are caught selling food outside of the Dealers Room;
The sale of sexual paraphernalia of ANY sort is prohibited in the Pro Plaza.
The sale of contact lenses is prohibited in the Pro Plaza, as well as any area of the Exhibitors.
Please note, Pre Order sales of any and all prohibited merchandise at Pro Plaza tables will be considered "on-site sales" and will be subjected to the consequences of such.
In case of doubt, please contact the Pro Plaza Coordinator for approval of your product(s).
Proxy Selling of Merchandise
The Pro Plaza emphasizes that an Artist must not sell any artwork or merchandise made by other artists. Failure to comply will result in the forfeiture of the participant or participants’ table(s), and future applications by all parties involved will be automatically denied.
If you wish to sell your work through a representative, please refer to Anime North’s Gallery Momiji for more information.
Collaborative works will be allowed or denied on a case-by-case basis. Please email the Pro Plaza Coordinator with the details concerning your collaboration before May 2, 2017.
If you do not make prior arrangements, you will not be allowed to sell your collaborative works. No exceptions.
Artists may set up their reserved space as they see fit as long as it is safe, stable, does not interfere with other artists's spaces, and/or violate any Anime North nor Toronto Congress Centre regulations. The reserved space is limited to the area provided by the convention.
If your display falls or harms another participant or attendee, you will be asked to take the display down immediately.
Balloons are not permitted inside the venue and may not be used for dipslays. You will be asked to remove these from the premises immediately, and pay for any fines issued by the venue.
Displays overhanging into other Artists' tables, doorways, corridors, safety exits or any other area outside the reserved space will NOT be allowed.
All signage within the common areas, exhibit areas or meeting rooms must be approved in advance and may incur charges issued byt he TCC and/or hotels. Signage includes but is not limited to: directional signage, promotional signage, backdrops for the space being used, etc. Should you wish to pay for advertising opportunities, speak to the Director of Anime North.
In order to maintain the facility, we emphasize eliminating activities that can lead to damages to the facility.
Prohibited actions are as follows:
- In general wall/glass surfaces are not to have anything attached to them by tacks, pins, tape (or by any other means);
- Drilling holes, driving nails, hooks, screws or tacks, or making any alterations to any part of the Centre or its equipment;
- Taking up a collection in public areas or allowing soliciting or loitering;
- Use of helium balloons as a give-away item or as part of a fixed display. All use of helium balloons in and around the Toronto Congress Centre is prohibited and may result in the loss of your table, and the barring of future applicants to any and all of the Exhibitors sections.
Display of Adult Material
Exhibitors may NOT display material depicting nudity or sexual conduct unless it is covered or displayed in such a way that minors cannot view explicit material. Adult material must not be accessible to minors in any way. No adult material may be sold, given, or distributed to a minor. The acceptability of displays of adult material is at the sole discretion of the Pro Plaza Coordinator. Display content (such as images and signage) must not be derogatory in nature (i.e. racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise offensive to the general public).
This rule applies to all artwork on display at your table. Thus, you may NOT display any commission work that violates the above restrictions.
Approval of Adult Material
If you are selling any work in this category, you are required to bring a display copy of your work to the Exhibitor Staff table where your work will be stamped with an 18+ or PG13 rating.
- If your work received an 18+ rating, it cannot be openly displayed on the table or be within the reach of minors. Such works can only be viewed by individuals over the age of 18 upon presentation of a valid photo ID. Please note that showing and/or selling items which contain adult content to minors is punishable by law.
- If your work received a PG13 rating, you may openly display it on your table.
The stamp allows security and convention attendees to know that your work has been approved for display by the Pro Plaza Coordinator. Please make use of this procedure to avoid problems during the convention as failing to do so may result in the loss of your table.
Protection of Valuables
Exhibitors are responsible for their own property, merchandise, and money. Under no circumstances will either Anime North or its agents be liable for loss or damages including but not limited to merchandise, equipment, or revenue.
The Toronto Congress Centre will be locked down at the end of every night; however it is the responsibility of the artists/exhibitors to look after and ensure safe storage of their personal property.
All participants MUST obey both the Anime North Convention Policies and the Pro Plaza Policy and Contract Agreement for 2017. Blocking hallways, aisles, and fire exits will not be tolerated. Any behavior that disrupts the convention or the premises, or is considered by Anime North as damaging to individuals, property, or the reputation of the convention will result in immediate loss of any Pro Plaza privileges, loss of membership, and expulsion from the convention. If you have any concerns during the convention, please bring them to the attention of the Pro Plaza Coordinator and/or Exhibitor Staff.
Please note that Anime North reserves the right to revoke or deny the application of individuals with records of serious offenses in any of our artist areas from previous years.
Failure to abide by the following rules may result in the loss of your table without refund.
Behaviour not acceptable in the Pro Plaza includes but is not limited to:
- Selling a table to another individual;
- Taking chairs from other artists or areas;
- Sitting and selling behind tables not assigned to you;
- Allowing someone not registered to the Pro Plaza to sell at your table. Doing so is a breach of contract. The tables are only rented to the artists who have specifically registered to the area and signed the Pro Plaza Policy and Agreement Contract for 2017;
- Selling your convention badge to another individual along with the table rented to your name;
- Lending your convention badge to another individual not registered to your table;
- Lewd behavior, intimate displays of affection, and touching inappropriate for a family atmosphere will not be tolerated in the Pro Plaza;
- Harassment of Exhibitor Staff, Anime North Staff, Anime North Volunteers or other participants (i.e. disrespecting the staff’s authority, inappropriate language and/or behavior, etc.);
- Applying for or signing in for a Pro Plaza space under a name not your own;
- Posing as a registered artist by use of their identification with or without permission. This is a case of fraud and/or theft, and is punishable by law;
- Offensive emails to Anime North Staff members, mass trolling (continuous posts of offensive messages) directed to Anime North Staff members in electronic forums.
Reservations for Pro Plaza tables are allocated at the sole discretion of the Anime North Pro Plaza Team. Anime North is in no way obligated to provide tables to any person, persons, or group, and reserves the right to decline applications from any person, persons, or group which have violated the Code of Conduct specified above.
All complaints, conflicts, or discrepancies concerning the Pro Plaza Staff and/or another Artist should be directed to and only to the Pro Plaza Coordinator.