Pro Plaza/Professional Artists
March 23, 2014
Pro Plaza application period is now closed. Table slots have been filled and a waiting list established, we will no longer be accepting applications for 2014.
The Pro Plaza is open to professional artists only. This area is for artists who wish to sell their original creations and/or do self-promotion. All product types are permitted, but the Pro Plaza has a strict no-fan work policy. Absolutely no fan work is permitted at any given time.
What classifies as a registered artist in the Pro Plaza?
A registered artist is an individual whose name appears on the Pro Plaza registration form who has fulfilled the following conditions:
- The individual has signed the Policy and Contract Agreement;
- The individual has been confirmed by the Pro Plaza Coordinator.
Please note that tables cannot be filled by individuals whose names are not registered to the Pro Plaza.
Pro Plaza Artists must be of professional level, meaning that:
- The Artist must represent his/her body of work as a professional in a given artistic field;
- The Artist’s merchandise must be original content and must not include any fan works;
- The Artist must be at least 14 years of age by May 23, 2014. Please note if you are under 18 you must have a parent/legal guardian cosign the contract.
The Pro Plaza will be located next to the Dealers Room in the Toronto Congress Centre.
Each artist may apply for a maximum of one table, no exceptions.
Pro Plaza tables will accommodate a maximum of one (1) artist and one (1) helper per table.
An artist table measures approximately 2’ x 8’ and can have a maximum of two (2) chairs and two (2) Exhibitor badges.
- Table with a convention badge costs: $200 CAD
- Table without a convention badge costs: $160 CAD
You may purchase your helper’s badge if he/she has not pre-registered. Please contact the Coordinator for procedures and information.
Convention badges and artist ribbons must be visible at all times when inside the convention. Even if the individual is cosplaying, he/she is required to follow this rule without question.
Tables may ONLY be set up by the artist and his/her helper. You may not bring in non-artists (i.e. anyone without an Exhibitor badge or artist ribbon) to help you setup. If additional help is needed, volunteers will be available during setup.
You may register only two individuals to a table. If you have a helper, please include his/her name and contact email in the original table request or send an e-mail subsequently to register him/her. Your helper will then receive a helper registration package.
Please note that a helper must also have the items listed in section Registration Requirements. Helpers do not need to submit any artwork samples.
Each artist who wishes to apply to the Pro Plaza must:
- Submit two (2) finished and signed art samples (for crafts, please submit two signed photographs of finished works) along with their reservation request on Saturday, March 22, 2014, 9:00 PM EST.
- Indicate if you have pre-registered ahead of time or if you are purchasing your membership with your table.
- If you have purchased an Anime North Membership ahead of time, you must attach a copy of your EventBrite Anime North TICKET (it is a PDF sent to you after purchasing your membership via e-mail) to your e-mail application for it to be valid.
- Represent his/her own body of work and not act as a proxy or representative for another artist.
- Have read and understood both the Anime North Convention Policy and the Pro Plaza Policy and Contract Agreement for 2014. Failure to do so will result in the immediate forfeiture of your table application and future applications to the artist areas.
- Be at least 14 years of age by May 23, 2014. Please note if you are under 18 you must have a parent/legal guardian cosign the contract.
- Be in possession of a Government-Issued Photo ID (e.g. health card, driver’s license, passport, etc.) on May 23, 2014. Please be aware that using false identification or lending your ID to someone else during sign-in is a criminal offense. This will result in the immediate forfeiture of your table and the denial of future applications to the artist areas.
Listed helpers must comply with items 2, 4, 5, and 6.
Application ProcedureThe application period for 2014 is closed.
The Pro Plaza does not accommodate Artist Groups or Art Groups. Applications are open only to individual artists.
Registration and Payment
Details regarding registration and payment will be sent to the artist once he/she receives a table reservation confirmation from the Exhibitors Staff.
Sign-in: Friday, May 23, 2014: 3:00 PM — 5:00 PM EDT
Please advise the Pro Plaza Coordinator if you are unable to arrive during this time.
No-shows by 11:00 AM EDT on Saturday will have their tables reassigned. Failure to follow these rules will result in the loss of your table without refund.
Open access to convention attendees (times are subject to change):
- Friday, May 23, 2013: 5:00 PM — 10:00 PM EDT;
- Saturday, May 24, 2014: 10:00 AM — 8:00 PM EDT;
- Sunday, May 25, 2014: 10:00 AM — 5:00 PM EDT.
Sale and Display of Merchandise
Artists may sell and create their art and merchandise in the Pro Plaza, so long as the content sold at their table does not include fan works and/or copyrighted images that are already licensed by other companies.
Only the artwork of the artist registered to the table may be sold at the table. You may not represent any artist that is NOT present at your table or registered with the Pro Plaza at any time.
Merchandise Prohibited from Sale
Fan works are prohibited in the Pro Plaza. You will be asked to remove any and all items which fall into this category;
Text heavy images on buttons, bookmarks, or stickers are allowed only if they are intended for the promotion of the artist’s own original works;
Solicitation buttons such as “Will Yuri for Yaoi” and “Free Hugs” are not permitted for sale in the Pro Plaza;
Replicas of existing artwork and merchandise such as official artwork from other licensed creations or artwork depicting trademarks or copyrighted logos are not allowed and considered copyright infringement. These actions are prosecutable by law;
The resale of food, used goods, or retail items (such as pocky, art books, or doujinshi made by non-registered artists) is not allowed. If you wish to sell the aforementioned, you must purchase a Dealer’s Table. Please note that you may be fined by the TCC if you are caught selling food outside of the Dealers Room;
The sale of sexual paraphernalia of ANY sort is prohibited in the Pro Plaza.
In case of doubt, please contact the Pro Plaza Coordinator for approval of your product(s).
Proxy Selling of Merchandise
The Pro Plaza emphasizes that an Artist must not sell any artwork or merchandise made by other artists. Failure to comply will result in the forfeiture of the participant or participants’ table(s), and future applications by all parties involved will be automatically denied.
If you wish to sell your work through a representative, please refer to Anime North’s Gallery Momiji for more information.
Collaborative works will be allowed or denied on a case-by-case basis. Please email the Pro Plaza Coordinator with the details concerning your collaboration before May 2, 2014.
If you do not make prior arrangements, you will not be allowed to sell your collaborative works. No exceptions.
Artists may set up their reserved space as they see fit as long as it is safe andArtists may set up their reserved space as they see fit as long as it is safe, stable, does not interfere with other artists’ spaces or violate any Anime North AND/OR Toronto Congress Centre regulations. The reserved space is limited to the area provided by the convention.
If your display falls or harms another participant or attendee, you will be asked to take the display down immediately.
Displays overhanging into other Artists’ tables, doorways, corridors, safety exits or any other area outside the reserved space will NOT be allowed.
All signage within the common areas, exhibit areas or meeting rooms must be approved in advance and may incur charges issued by the TCC and/or hotels. Signage includes but is not limited to: directional signage, promotional signage, backdrops for the space being used, etc. Should you wish to pay for advertising opportunities, speak to the Director of Anime North.
In order to maintain the facility, we emphasize eliminating activities that can lead to damages to the facility.
Prohibited actions are as follows:
- In general wall/glass surfaces are not to have anything attached to them by tacks, pins, tape (or by any other means);
- Drilling holes, driving nails, hooks, screws or tacks, or making any alterations to any part of the Centre or its equipment;
- Taking up a collection in public areas or allowing soliciting or loitering;
- Use of helium balloons as a give-away item or as part of a fixed display.
Display of Adult Material
Exhibitors may NOT display material depicting nudity or sexual conduct unless it is covered or displayed in such a way that minors cannot view explicit material. Adult material must not be accessible to minors in any way. No adult material may be sold, given, or distributed to a minor. The acceptability of displays of adult material is at the sole discretion of the Pro Plaza Coordinator. Display content (such as images and signage) must not be derogatory in nature (i.e. racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise offensive to the general public).
This rule applies to all artwork on display at your table. Thus, you may NOT display any commission work that violates the above restrictions.
Approval of Adult Material
If you are selling any work in this category, you are required to bring a display copy of your work to the Exhibitor Staff table where your work will be stamped with an 18+ or PG13 rating.
- If your work received an 18+ rating, it cannot be openly displayed on the table or be within the reach of minors. Such works can only be viewed by individuals over the age of 18 upon presentation of a valid photo ID. Please note that showing and/or selling items which contain adult content to minors is punishable by law.
- If your work received a PG13 rating, you may openly display it on your table.
The stamp allows security and convention attendees to know that your work has been approved for display by the Pro Plaza Coordinator. Please make use of this procedure to avoid problems during the convention as failing to do so may result in the loss of your table.
Protection of Valuables
Exhibitors are responsible for their own property, merchandise, and money. Under no circumstances will either Anime North or its agents be liable for loss or damages including but not limited to merchandise, equipment, or revenue.
The Toronto Congress Centre will be locked down at the end of every night; however it is the responsibility of the artists/exhibitors to look after their own property.
All participants MUST obey both the Anime North Convention Policy and the Pro Plaza Policy and Contract Agreement for 2014. Blocking hallways, aisles, and fire exits will not be tolerated. Any behavior the disrupts the convention or the premises, or is considered by Anime North as damaging to individuals, property, or the reputation of the convention will result in immediate loss of any Pro Plaza privileges, loss of membership, and expulsion from the convention. If you have any concerns during the convention, please bring them to the attention of the Exhibitor Staff.
Please note that Anime North reserves the right to revoke or deny the application of individuals with records of serious offenses in any of our artist areas from previous years.
Failure to abide by the following rules may result in the loss of your table without refund.
Behaviour not acceptable in the Pro Plaza includes but is not limited to:
- Selling a table to another individual;
- Taking chairs from other artists or areas;
- Sitting and selling behind tables not assigned to you;
- Allowing someone not registered to the Pro Plaza to sell at your table. Doing so is a breach of contract. The tables are only rented to the artists who have specifically registered to the area and signed the Pro Plaza Policy and Agreement Contract for 2014;
- Selling your convention badge to another individual along with the table rented to your name;
- Lending your convention badge to another individual not registered to your table;
- Lewd behavior, intimate displays of affection, and touching inappropriate for a family atmosphere will not be tolerated in the Pro Plaza;
- Harassment of Exhibitor Staff, Anime North Staff, Anime North Volunteers or other participants (i.e. disrespecting the staff’s authority, inappropriate language and/or behavior, etc.);
- Applying for or signing in for a Pro Plaza space under a name not your own;
- Posing as a registered artist by use of their identification. This is a case of fraud and is punishable by law;
- Offensive emails to Anime North Staff members, mass trolling (continuous posts of offensive messages) directed to Anime North Staff members in electronic forums.
Reservations for Pro Plaza tables are allocated at the sole discretion of the Anime North Pro Plaza Team. Anime North is in no way obligated to provide tables to any person, persons, or group, and reserves the right to decline applications from any person, persons, or group which have violated the Code of Conduct specified above.
All complaints, conflicts, or discrepancies concerning the Exhibitor Staff and/or another Artist should be directed to and only to the Pro Plaza Coordinator.