US Dealer Information

US Dealer Information Required to Obtain a Work Permit for Canada

Due to the enforcement of the various Immigration laws in Canada the Canadian government requires that all Non-Canadian Citizens or permanent residents to be in possession of a valid "Work Permit" to participate at Anime North.

In order to make this process as easy as possible for our foreign dealers, please read the following instructions and guidelines. If you have any questions, please contact Etuska Varga at: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

The information here is provided by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada - Foreign Immigrant Workers Branch - by the Supervisor of that division. We have translated it into basic terms so that the information required for processing is clear and in plain language.

Reference: Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation 205(a)

Foreign Dealer FAQ

Who has to get a Work Permit?

  • A Foreign national selling goods and taking money from con will need a work permit.
  • If you are NOT Canadian BUT will only be SUPERVISING Canadians taking money from con attendees at your dealer booth - you do NOT need a work permit.
  • If you are bringing friends and family along and they are NOT taking money at your dealer's booth, they DO NOT need a work permit.
  • If you are just demonstrating goods ONLY and NOT taking money, personally at your dealer's booth - you DO NOT need a work permit.

What is the process of getting a Work Permit?

  • If you do not require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada you can apply for your work permit at a Canadian Port of Entry. Be sure to tell the Primary Officer that you would like to apply for a work permit. They will send you to Immigration.
  • (A list of countries whose citizens require this Visa can be found at
  • Present your letter of introduction (provided by Anime North) to the Immigration Officer at the same time as you apply for your Work Permit.
  • Processing at the Port of Entry may take time, so please consider that in your travel plans.
  • You can also apply BEFORE hand at the Canadian CONSULATE nearest you.
  • You must have proof of your citizenship. The Immigration Officer will ask you to show picture ID and ask you some simple questions. If you have a passport - bring it.

Note to U.S. citizens: a driver's license, social security card, vehicle ownership or work identification do not prove citizenship. Contact your nearest Canadian consulate or check for details regarding what does and what does not prove citizenship.

It is now a requirement under U.S. law that anyone travelling by air to, from or through that country be in possession of a valid passport or Nexus card. Persons seeking entry by land may use an enhanced driver’s license or enhanced state identification card in addition to these documents. You will not be admitted to Canada if you cannot satisfy immigration that you have proper identification to return to the U.S

How much does this cost?

  • The cost of the Work Permit is $150.00 CDN per person, which must be paid DIRECTLY at the point of Entry to the Canadian Government (payable with Canadian cash, U.S. cash, Visa, Master Card or American Express only). This is the responsibility of the dealer.
  • FAILURE to comply with the above will result in being denied entry to Canada.
  • MISREPRESENTATION at the border and to latter discovery in Canada will result in arrest, imprisonment and/or heavy fines and immediate deportation (being barred for life) from Canada, along with forfeiture of your entire stock.
  • If you do NOT have a Resident Alien Status in the USA (a green card)/ not a US CITIZEN, and are not from a visa exempt country - and will be acting as a dealer/taking money - you MUST arrange your Work Permit with the CANADIAN EMBASSY near you.

Do my friends and family need Work Permit?

  • If they are coming to enjoy the con – no
  • If they are coming to demonstrate products – no
  • If they are coming to supervise CANADIAN convention workers – no
  • If they are coming to "watch" your dealers’ tables – no
  • If they are taking money from con attendees/handling sales - YES

For more information, please go to:

We at Anime North welcome dealers from the US and will make every attempt possible to ensure your working-visit to be an enjoyable one. If you have ANY questions or require further clarification- please contact Etuska Varga at: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Have you ever been arrested for ANYTHING ANYWHERE?

If you have, you should take a moment to read this. Section 36 of Canada's Immigration Act prohibits entry to Canada of persons convicted of certain crimes. Not only do these include what is known as a "felony" in the United States, but other crimes such as "DWI", "DWAI", "bad check", "assault" or "forgery", which are considered "misdemeanours" under state law. They are federal crimes in Canada and punishable under our Criminal Code Of Canada. The way this is dealt with in Canada is the Officers look at what you were convicted of, then look at what the person would have been convicted of had the offence taken place in Canada, and what the maximum punishment for this crime would be. This is known as "equating the crime".

A classic example of this that we deal with on an almost daily basis would be "DWAI", which in New York state is a vehicular violation under their section 1192. In Canada, however, it is called "Operating While Impaired" and is found in section 253 of our Criminal Code (a "federal offence" or "felony"). The maximum punishment for this offence is found in section 255 and is a maximum of five years imprisonment. So, someone convicted of "DWAI" in the United States would be referred to as "criminally inadmissible" under section 36(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Now, that being said, sometimes if sufficient time has gone by, or there's only one conviction, this may not count against you. The best way to check on this is to contact your local Canadian Consulate, give them details of all convictions, and they can let you know what the outcome would be.

One final word - some people are probably saying "well, I just won't tell them". You know what? Everyone is checked on the records system. If you're asked, and you say "no", then we find out, you may not only be criminally inadmissible, but now you're definitely not getting in because section 16(1) states that all persons MUST answer all questions truthfully - in other words lying to an Officer means you've violated the Immigration Act and aren't getting into Canada.

Any such refusal or violation becomes a permanent part of the Immigration Canada database, and will come up every time your name is checked in the system. The records are never deleted.

You can find the location of the Canadian Consulate responsible for where you live by going to this handy website:

For a professional business hosting we highly recommend hostgator review or cloud hosting
Copyright © 2018 Anime North 2018. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.
Joomla Templates designed by Joomla Hosting