Anime North Weapons and Large Props Rules, Regulations, and Liability Limitations
For the safety of all con attendees, the following policy towards such items will be strictly enforced. Costumers are expected to read and comply to it completely. Failure to do so will result in warnings and potentially loss of convention membership.
Please note that certain exemptions to rules 3, 4, or 7 may be considered for the purpose of the Costume Masquerade ONLY. If you wish to submit a weapon or routine for special consideration, please consult with the Masquerade Director prior to the masquerade registration deadline.
- NO live firearms. Removal of firing pin or bolt does not negate this rule!
- NO prohibited weapons (as defined by applicable Canadian Laws).
Examples include (but are not limited to):
- Bali-Song ("butterfly knife") or switchblade/dropblade style knives.
- Nunchucks, Tonfas, Shurikens, or similarly restricted Martial Arts Weapons, which are illegal under the Criminal Code of Canada (foam models of these items are permitted).
- Law Enforcement items such as Batons, Tasers or Mace.
- NO Replicas of Contemporary Firearms (i.e. beginning from the era of revolvers - U.S. Civil War forward to any currently manufactured firearms).
- NO metal weapons or yaoi paddles. Metal weapons shall include but not be limited to swords, knives and daggers. (Plastic or wood that LOOK'S like metal is permitted.)
- All weapons must be holstered, sheathed or slung in an approved fashion.
- Weapons will not be drawn or displayed outside of convention function space (except in the privacy of a hotel room), or in any public or crowded area except for specific photo ops areas.
- Due and full consideration must be given to physical safety and peace of mind of other persons at all times, this includes the general public and venue staff, not just other convention attendees.
- All weapons or large props must be checked and authorized by the Weapons Masters at the Weapons Registration tables at the TCC (see pocket program). Upon approval, the weapon(s) will be bonded and your convention badge marked accordingly.
- Any weapons which fail to meet the safety criteria of the Weapons Masters must be immediately (and discreetly) returned to storage (e.g.: your hotel room or vehicle) for the duration of the convention or be checked by the Weapons Master. Please note it is your responsibility to pick up your checked weapons. Any props or weapons left with the Weapons Master beyond the close of registration Sunday become the property of Anime North.
- Convention Operation Services and ConCom members reserve the right to inspect weapons, peace bond and convention badge markings at any time. Any signs of tampering will be referred to the Weapons Master for confirmation of authenticity.
- Horseplay (of any kind, whether participants are consenting parties or not) with weapons will not be tolerated. All persons involved may be penalized depending upon the nature of the severity of the offense. All complaints of behavior of this nature will be dealt with immediately by Anime North.
- Failure to adhere to one or more of the above rules will result in any or all of the following penalties being swiftly enforced.
- Immediate loss of the privilege to carry weapons
- Expulsion, without refund, from the Anime North Convention
- Any act of gross negligence or public endangerment may result in criminal charges beyond the control of Anime North (please remember that the general public may have no idea that the convention is in progress and may react in the extreme if they feel threatened).
The decision of the Weapons Master and ConCom members are final and will be strictly enforced to ensure a safe environment for all convention attendees.