To ensure the safety and enjoyment of all who will be attending the upcoming Anime North, we ask that all visitors observe the following con policies. Any questions regarding these policies should be directed to the staff or office. Thank you.
Attention Costumers: If you are planning on wearing any sort of replica weapon or large prop (staff, etc.) at the convention you must read the complete Weapons and Large Props Policy <click here for more details> It is your responsibility to understand this policy and abide by it. Any questions should be directed towards the Weapons Master or his staff.
- Food and drink is not allowed in function rooms except those designated.
- Seating is first-come, first-served. Due to fire regulations, sitting in aisles and seating beyond the room's capacity are not allowed, and we are bound by law to strictly enforce this.
- Please remember talking during videos is disruptive to other attendees and save your comments for outside.
- Anime North reserves the right to refuse admission to function rooms to those under 18 during videos and panels with adult content.
- Panhandling (begging for money, with or without performing music or other entertainment) is against local bylaws and will not be allowed in convention space.
- Laser pointers are not harmless toys; they are capable of inflicting serious eye damage. Irresponsible use of a laser pointer will result in loss of membership and expulsion from the convention.
- Water guns and projectiles are not allowed in convention space, any use of them in public will result in loss of membership and removal from the convention. All involved parties will be required to pay the cost of any property damages suffered by individuals, dealers or the hotel.
- Failure to follow the rules may result in loss of membership and expulsion from the convention.
- Have fun, enjoy yourself, be courteous to hotel staff and fellow attendees but please remember, the impression you make reflects on all of us.
A credit card number is required to confirm a reservation. If you do not have a credit card available, a cash or money order deposit will be necessary upon check-in. If the credit card holder will not be staying in the hotel room (i.e. if your parents make the reservation for you), then they must sign a form at the check-in to take responsibility for any damage resulting in the room.
In any case, there must be at least one adult of legal age (18 years +) staying in the room. No minors will be able to stay at a hotel without adult supervision.
Appropriate action will be taken in the case of attendees who are found to be in violation of hotel rules for use of guest rooms. Violations include, but are not limited to:
- Exceeding the maximum occupancy per hotel room. Hotel management has the right to evict anyone who is not registered with them as a guest from guest rooms. <Please see the Doubletree Hotel Room Policy>( add link to http://animenorth.com/doubletreepolicy.php)
- Charging admission to a room party serving alcohol without a liquor license or serving alcohol to minors. If this is found to have happened, legal action will be taken.
- Selling merchandise out of private hotel rooms.
- Engaging in any other behavior that is illegal or disruptive. This will result in loss of convention membership and possible legal action by the hotel.
Cosplayers with costumes that are bulky, difficult to maneuver, restrict vision, have mascot-type heads, projecting shoulders or otherwise present possible safety issues for the wearer or those they come in contact with are asked to travel with an unencumbered escort (someone in no costume or one without any restricting features) when moving through high-traffic public areas of the con. If no escort is available, you may be asked to return the costume to your hotel room or car, or remove and safely carry the portions of your costume causing concern.
Costume elements that may be offensive or disruptive are not welcome and anyone wearing them may be asked by Anime North staff to remove or cover up questionable items.
Carrying of signs in convention space will not be allowed unless the sign is
- A clearly understood and recognizable part of a cosplay costume (ie Gendo Panda’s signboard, Menchi with a list of nutritional info)
- Serves a reasonable purpose (ie. advertising an event, showing a group where to meet) and has been authorized by Special Ops.
- Signs that advertise services in exchange for goods or other favours (ie Will Glomp for Pocky, Hugs for $1) may be against local soliciting and/or panhandling bylaws and will not be allowed.
- T-shirts with slogans that would be unacceptable on a sign are also unacceptable and the wearer may be asked to change or cover up the slogan if they wish to remain in convention space
- Cameras and camcorders are not allowed in the Art Show. Photography of original artwork in Artists Alley is not allowed without permission of the artist.
- Flash photography is strictly forbidden for safety reasons.
- Non-flash Photography of the Masquerade is allowed ONLY where it does not obstruct others' view of the stage.
- A designated filming area will be set up for taping of the Masquerade. Numbers will be strictly limited due to space. Media Representative will be given preference, please contact the Media Dept for access. Any space left over may be made available to general attendees on a first come, first served basis at the beginning of the Masquerade. Because of the demand, we cannot guarantee anyone a space ahead of time.
- Photo Stations will be set up in the hall for attendees to have further opportunity to photograph contestants as they exit after their turn on stage.
- Photography of all other aspects of the con is allowed, as long as it does not disrupt events or the flow of traffic and the subject does not object. Please be considerate and ask first before taking pictures of guests, con staff, other attendees or the general public.
- Please be aware as an attendee of Anime North that media representatives will be present at the con and may be filming at any time.
- Anime North is a non-smoking convention. Smoking is prohibited except where venue policy permits.
Children (under the age of 13)
- A parent or guardian must accompany children under 13 at all times. Parents and guardians are responsible for the well-being and behavior of all children in their care.
Alcohol, Drugs, Theft, Vandalism
- The legal drinking age in Ontario is 19. Drugs, theft and vandalism are illegal and will be dealt with accordingly.
Bus and Transport between Venues
- Shuttle Service will run between the Toronto Congress Center and the Park Plaza only. No transportation will be provided to other locations. The Park Plaza shuttle is not affiliated with Anime North and is governed by the rules of the Park Plaza Hotel.
- If it's not allowed in the venue, it's not allowed on the bus. Any incidents may result in being banned from riding the bus as well as all other penalties previously stated.
- There will be Mobility Access seating in the main function rooms, as well as Front of the Line and/or Early Entrance privileges when appropriate.
- To help us better provide this service, we ask that those with Mobility/Access needs stop by the Access table and obtain the Special Attention sticker for their badges. Registration for Mobility/Access is free of charge.
- You MUST be registered with the Mobility/Access department to be eligible for Mobility/Access transport between Toronto Congress Center and the Renaissance Hotel.
- Anime North will not be responsible for attendant care. If you do not need an attendant, or already have one, you are welcome to be a Volunteer.
- While we cannot anticipate or accommodate every request, we will do everything possible to ensure all reasonable requirements are met.
- Your name badge is proof of your membership and must be worn at all times to guarantee admission to con events. Lost badges should be reported promptly to the con office.
Special Operations (Convention Security)
- Convention Special Operations staff will be wearing distinctive badges. If you need any assistance just ask, if you see any problems, report it promptly.
Due to safety issues, Anime North will be following strict guidelines for entry to the Dealer Room where appropriate.
- Restricted admissions
- Time limits
- traffic redirection,
- early entry for those with Mobility/Access memberships
- Any other measures necessary to ensure safety.
Note that Weapons/Props with metal blades may be for sale in the Dealer’s Room. These items are for sale under strict guidelines – namely once sold they are provided to the customer in a sealed box which is not to be opened or the weapon displayed in general convention areas. Doing so may result in badge confiscation and the attendee having to leave the convention.
“Glomping” (aggressive hugging, often without warning) can be disruptive and even cause harm to unsuspecting targets or bystanders being jostled in a crowded space. Please do not “Glomp” anyone without asking permission first. Repeated problems may be considered disruptive behavior and result in warnings and loss of convention membership.
Costuming is a very important part of Anime North. However, carrying replica weapons or large props (such as staffs) in often crowded areas can create safety hazards for you and other attendees, and could also potentially lead to panic situations should the presence of such items be misunderstood.
For the safety of all con attendees, the following policy towards such items will be strictly enforced. Costumers are expected to read and comply to it completely. Failure to do so will results in warnings and potentially loss of convention membership.
- NO live firearms. Removal of firing pin or bolt does not negate this rule!
- NO prohibited weapons (as defined by applicable Canadian Laws)
examples include (but are not limited to):
- Bali-Song ("butterfly knife") or switchblade/dropblade style knives.
- Nunchucks, Tonfas, Shurikens, or similarly restricted Martial Arts Weapons, which are illegal under the Criminal Code of Canada.
- Law Enforcement items such as Batons, Tazers or Mace.
- No Replicas of Contemporary Firearms (i.e. beginning from the era of revolvers -U.S. Civil War forward to any currently manufactured firearms)
- All weapons must be holstered, sheathed or slung in an approved fashion.
Weapons will not be drawn or displayed outside of convention function space (except in the privacy of a hotel room), or in any public or crowded area. Large props must be kept close to the body at all times.
- Due and full consideration must be given to physical safety and peace of mind of other persons at all times, this includes the general public and venue staff, not just other convention attendees. Translation: The archaic and juvenile practice of "freaking the mundanes*" will NOT be tolerated in any form or fashion at any time!
*Mundanes: Your friends who keep asking you if you're still into that weird cartoon stuff /normal mortals who do not understand anime or related hobbies.
- All weapons or large props must be checked and authorized by the Weapons Masters at the Weapons Registration tables on the opposite side of the registration desks (see pocket program).
Upon approval, the weapon(s) will be bonded and your convention badge marked accordingly. If you do not have your weapon or large prop checked, you will not be allowed to carry a weapon or large prop about the convention.
- Any weapons which fail to meet the safety criteria of the Weapons Masters must be immediately (and discreetly) returned to storage (e.g.: your hotel room or vehicle) for the duration of the convention or be held by Special Ops and returned at the end of the convention. If it is needed and approved for the Masquerade, arrangements can be made for it to be delivered to the Masquerade Green room at 6:00pm Saturday.
- All Masquerade contestants planning to use weapons onstage MUST present their weapons for inspection and demonstrate their intended use for the Masquerade staff when registering for the Masquerade or Cosplay Skit Contest. Any unauthorized weapons or actions involving weapons onstage or backstage will result in disqualification and any further actions deemed necessary by the Masquerade staff, Special Ops, and/or Venue Security.
- Convention Security and ConCom members reserve the right to inspect weapons, peace bond and convention badge markings at any time. Any signs of tampering will be referred to the Weapons Master for confirmation of authenticity.
- Weapons/Props with metal blades may be for sale in the Dealer’s Room. These items are for sale under strict guidelines – namely once sold they are provided to the customer in a sealed box which is not to be opened or the weapon displayed in general convention areas. Doing so may result in badge confiscation and the attendee having to leave the convention.
- Horseplay (of any kind, whether participants are consenting parties or not) with weapons will not be tolerated. All persons involved may be penalized depending upon the nature of the severity of the offense. All complaints of behavior of this nature will be dealt with immediately by Anime North.
- Failure to adhere to one or more of the above rules will result in any or all of the following penalties being swiftly enforced.
- Immediate loss of the privilege to carry weapons
- Expulsion, without refund, from the Anime North Convention
- Any act of gross negligence or public endangerment may result in criminal charges beyond the control of Anime North (please remember that the general public may have no idea that the convention is in progress and may react in the extreme if they feel threatened).
The decision of the Weapons Master and ConCom members are final and will be strictly enforced to ensure a safe environment for all convention attendees.